Membership Dues Submission by Dec. 1
Submit dues on or before December 1, 2014 to meet an important part of a unit's Good Standing status requirements and be eligible for Council, District, State, and national participation and awards.
Congratulations to ...
J. Michael Lunsford MS PTA - recipient of a $1000 recycling grant from Keep Virginia Beautiful. With a goal to double the school's recycling, they executed a multi-platform public awareness campaign and purchased equipment to support more volume and easy movement of materials. Their campaign slogan - Lunsford Lions Roar for Recycling, was a instrumental in creating implementation excitement. What a success story - keep them coming!
2015 VA PTA Legislation Program Now Available!
Thank you to all units who conducted a PLP vote this fall! The Virginia PTA is dedicated to ensuring our members' voice is heard at the General Assembly, in front of the Virginia Board of Education and anywhere education issues are debated. We also want to ensure we speak for a majority of our members - and that's why the PLP is so very important.
Two items passed by a wide margin. This session, we will seek legislation on:
- Supporting program which improve access and availability of mental health services for Virginia's troubled youth.
We are also including the following position in our legislation library:
- Virginia PTA supports local revenue increases as long as at least 50% of the additional revenue is allocated to local Pre-K through 12 public education.
Click here for Virginia PTA's complete 2015 Legislation Program.
2015 Citizenship Essay Contest Expanded!
Virginia PTA and Virginia529 have partnered to expand the Virginia PTA Citizenship Essay contest. With the addition of Primary, Intermediate and Special Writer divisions, all K-12 students can participate and describe what citizenship means to them. Please click here for the rules and application.
Virginia PTA Scholarships Available
Virginia PTA offers scholarships to graduating seniors planning to enter either a teaching or another youth-service profession at a Virginia college or university. For a 2015 Information and Application packet please click here.
Submit Bylaws Amendments
The Virginia PTA Bylaws Committee meets in February to consider amendments to the Virginia PTA State, Local Unit, Council, and District Bylaws. Please send suggested amendments by January 23, 2015 via mail, fax, or email. (Information in top right corner of homepage screen.) Submitted amendments must contain placement of the amendment, recommended language, and rationale to be considered.
Please contact Irene Smith, Bylaws Committee Chair with any questions.
Last Minute Reflections Tips:
As you wrap up your Reflections program, follow these tips:
- Make sure your first place entries are labeled as you pass them on to the next level of judging. This ensures easy return.
- Each entry advancing to the next level needs to be accompanied by a Student Entry Form and a Local PTA Registration Form. Both forms are found here.
- Recognize each student who participated in your program. Visit the Virginia PTA Store to purchase items for student recognition.
- Be sure to thank your judges!
- Remember to thank your Reflections Chair and all other volunteers who helped out with the program.