Get to Know Our Members
When you join Virginia PTA, you are connected to a community of 950 schools in Virginia that support approximately 766,000 students. Our 175,000 members are committed to building strong family to school partnerships and advocating for resources that help every child reach their full potential.
- 52% of PTAs in Virginia are in Title 1 schools
- Establishing a Parent and Family Engagement Policy in Title 1 schools is required under federal law by the Every Student Suceeds Act. Will you join PTA to support your child's learning and development? Will you join and volunteer to support family STEAM night, reading night and other fun events that grow a strong community? Will you join PTA to #TakeAction4Kids to increase state At Risk Add-On funding for low-income schools?
- 42% of Virginia students in schools with PTAs qualify for Free/Reduced lunches.
- Virginia PTA advocated for the extension of the USDA Summer Food Service Program, which provides funding to offer FREE meals to all children under 18. This program was extended throughout the school year until June 2022. Virginia PTA has also advocated for reduction in school lunch debt, expansion of community eligibility programs (which provides free meals to all students regardless of income in qualifying schools), and an expansion of locally grown foods in school cafeterias. Will you join PTA to help with a Backpack Buddies program, help in the school garden or advocate for resources that provide students with access to healthy nutritious meals?
- 55% of Virginia students in schools with PTAs are students of color.
- Virginia PTA respects and celebrates the differences and commonalities among our community. We want to ensure our membership and programs are representative of our families and reach them in their preferred language. Will you join PTA to help us support the diverse needs of our school communities?
- PTAs are located in every area of Virginia. 22% of our PTAs are in rural areas and towns, 32% of our PTAs are in cities and 47% of our PTAs are in suburban areas.
- Each community has unique experiences, but regardless of where you live, many of Virginia's school buildings are deteriorated, do not have adequate support staff and both rural and urban communities have students and teachers that lack access to high-speed affordable broadband. Join us to #TakeAction4Kids in your commuity!
Below are helpful infographics and membership asks that can help you promote the power of PTA: on your websites, in your flyers and newsletters and through social media channels.