CURRICULUM – CAREER TECHNICAL EDUCATION (CTE)
Career Technical Education (CTE) programs in Virginia public schools serve more than 640,000 students in one or more CTE courses in grades 6-12. CTE programs prepare students for high wage, high skill, high demand careers in existing and emerging industries while meeting the Commonwealth's need for well-trained and industry-certified technical workers. Virginia’s Profile of a Virginia Graduate and new school accreditation standards expanded the focus of CTE to ensure graduates have the knowledge, skills, attributes and experiences identified by employers and educators as critical for success in the workforce.
- Virginia PTA urges the Board of Education, educators, school counselors, career development professionals and administrators to promote career technical education and workforce development programs in a positive light as a respected career path.
- Virginia PTA urges state and local Board of Educations to recognize February as Career Technical Education Month.
- Virginia PTA urges the Virginia Board of Education ensure Agriculture and Forestry is represented on the Advisory Committee for Career Technical Education and that curriculum supports rural workforce development and innovation.
CAREER TECHNICAL EDUCATION RESOURCES
- National PTA Position: Career and Technical Education
- Virginia Department of Education Career Technical Development
- Virginia Advisory Committee for Career & Technical Education
QUESTIONS: Email Vice President of Advocacy