FUNDING & STANDARDS OF QUALITY
Cuts made by the General Assembly during the 2009 economic downturn instituted a ‘cap’ or formula on the amount of state funding provided for vital school support staff. Virginia disproportionately relies on local governments to fund public schools compared to other states, ranking 26th in the nation for per pupil funding when considering the local share of K-12 funding and falling to 42nd in the nation when looking at only the state contribution. Virginia PTA urges the General Assembly to modernize the Standards of Quality to reflect actual school division staffing practices recommended by the Board of Education and pay the state’s share of critical staff positions.
- Lift the 2009 recession-era Support Position Cap & flexibility waivers
- Adjust the SOQ to support essential school staff including full time principals, librarians, technology teachers and nurses for every school.
STANDARDS OF QUALITY RESOURCES
- RESOLUTION: Equal Taxing Authority for Counties & Education Funding
- RESOLUTION: Small Community Schools and Aging School Building Maintenance
- POLICY LETTER: Standards of Quality Public Comments to BOE
- Board of Education: Re-Prescribed 2020 Recommendations for Standards of Quality for the 2021 General Assembly
- Department of Education: Report on SOQ Changes made in the 2020 Session
- Department of Education: Resources on Standards of Quality
- Virginia Code Title 22.1 Education; Chapter 13.2 Standards of Quality
QUESTIONS: Email Vice President of Advocacy