INFRASTRUCTURE - INTERNET ACCESS & AFFORDABILITY
Access to high speed internet touches almost every aspect of modern life yet there are an estimated 660,000 Virginians who don’t have access to broadband. Almost 50% of rural Virginians lack access to high speed internet and 29% don’t have any internet service at all. The Northam Administration has set a goal of 100% connectivity by 2028. Digital learning and connectivity at school and at home enables students to be prepared for tomorrow’s jobs and levels the playing field for students regardless of their affluence level or geographic location.
- Virginia PTA urges the General Assembly to increase funding for the Virginia Telecommunications Initiative (VATI) and other programs to expedite infrastructure development to provide every Virginia household with access to affordable, high-speed internet (defined as 25mbps download and 3mps upload).
- Virginia PTA supports programs and funding that provide every student participating in distance learning with a device or laptop computer.
- WEBINAR: Virginia PTA Advocacy Afternoon: Virginia’s Digital Divide (8/5/2020)
- VIRIGNIA PTA POSITION: Virginia’s Phased School Reopening
- National PTA Resolution: Distance and Remote Learning for K-12 Students
- POLICY LETTER: July 22, 2020 National PTA on E-Rate Program
- POLICY LETTER: March 23, 2020 National PTA on Emergency Connectivity Fund
- POLICY LETTER: November 2019 Virginia PTA Block Grant to VATI Fund
- Commonwealth Connects Coalition
- Commonwealth Connects Coalition 2020 Report
- Rural Virginia Broadband Fact Sheet
- WiFi Hotspots Map
- State Council of Higher Education 2020 Study on Broadband Access
QUESTIONS: Email Vice President of Advocacy