School safety is a critical priority for all parents, educators, students, and community members that should not be taken for granted. Virginia PTA supports:
- Physical building improvements to provide secure entry identification and regular school building safety audits
- Communicate to parents at the start of the school year regarding threat assessment protocols, emergency preparation drills, crisis response procedures and re-unification protocols.
- Memorandums of Understanding with local law enforcement agencies, training programs for School Resource Officers and funding for SRO grant programs that support local control.
SCHOOL SAFETY RESOURCES
- RESOLUTION: Limit Frequency of Lockdown Drills
- National PTA Position: Safe & Supportive Schools
- VA Department of Criminal Justice Services: K-12 Threat Assessment
- VA Department of Criminal Justice Services: School Safety Audits
- VA Secondary School Climate Surveys
- Safe and Sound Schools Parent Support
QUESTIONS: Email Vice President of Advocacy