SCHOOL QUALITY REPORT CARDS
Help parents access data to advocate for their students and community.
School Quality Report Cards or 'Profiles' are an important tool that families can use to understand if their school is meeting the academic and social emotional needs of their student. The data in school report cards is also used by school districts to make informed decisions about staffing, professional development and student academic growth. Therefore, it's important that families take time each year to review their school report card and address any areas of concern with their Principal or School Board.
REPORT CARDS MEET FEDERAL STANDARDS
In 2015, the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) re-authorized the Elementary and Secondary Education Act and replaced No Child Left Behind. ESSA requires states and districts to prepare and widely disseminate an annual school report card. In 2015, the Virginia General Assembly also directed the Virginia Board of Education to prepare on-line reports that would effectively communicate the status and achievements of Virginia's public schools. The new 'Virginia School Quality Profiles' were rolled out in 2017 and per ESSA must:
- Present information in a concise, understandable and uniform format;
- Provide information in a language that parents can understand;
- Be updated annually on or before December 31 for the preceding school year;
- Protect student privacy by displaying data in the aggregate and not disclosing personally identifiable data.
HOW DOES YOUR SCHOOL COMPARE?
Virginia's School Quality Profiles or report cards are prepared by the Virginia Department of Education according to federal and state law. These official Profiles should be your "go-to" resource for school data. Do not rely on ranking websites that are compiled by real-estate companies and other private entities.
QUESTIONS TO THINK ABOUT WHEN YOU REVIEW YOUR SCHOOL'S REPORT CARD
- What is an area of strength at this school?
- What is something for the school to work on improving over the next year?
- How can I use this data to support my student's academic growth?
QUESTIONS TO THINK ABOUT REGARDING STUDENT DATA PRIVACY
- What type of data is being collected about my student?
- How can I access the student data and how is it used?
- How is the school protecting my student's data?
- What data is being used in apps?
VIRGINIA PTA's ADVOCACY ASK
The Virginia PTA urges the Virginia Board of Education to enhance Virginia's School Quality Profiles to include the following important data about teacher diversity, cultural sensitivity, mental health programs, inclusivity and school climate.
- DIVERSITY REPORTING IMPROVEMENTS
State assessments show a significant achievement gap of 20% or more for Hispanic, African American, economically disadvantaged and English language learner students compared to white students. This is a nation-wide and decades-old problem. However, research shows that academic achievement increases when teachers reflect the same race, gender, cultural or linguistic background as their students. To focus on closing the achievement gap, the following reporting improvements are needed:
- Translation of School Profiles into multiple languages
- Ethnic diversity of teachers as a ratio to students
- Languages spoken by teachers as a ratio to students
- MENTAL HEALTH REPORTING IMPROVEMENTS
Suicide is the second leading cause of death among persons aged 10-34. Odds show that every classroom in every school has at least one student with a mental health concern. The majority of young people who do receive mental health treatment do so at school. It's important to reflect the prevalence and use of mental health supports and positive behavior intervention programs to provide insight into whether or not staffing (counselors, social workers, psychologists) and programing meets student needs.
- Mental health threat assessments conducted
- Use of restraint and seclusion
- Practices related to using trauma informed care and/or Muti-Tiered Systems of Support
- SCHOOL CLIMATE REPORTING IMPROVEMENTS
- Identification of parent groups (PTA/PTO/Band Boosters etc)
- Project Based Learning connected to the community
- Annual Principal notification to parents announcing the new data is published with required personal reflection on school performance and plans in place to sustain positive growth or remediate areas of weakness.
- NOTE: School Safety Audit and School Based Surveys are maintained separately by the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services. Parents should be provided with a link to this data directly from the Virginia School Quality Profiles.
SOCIAL MEDIA HASHTAGS
#Report2Results, #ShowUsTheData, #EdData
FLYERS & ARTICLES ABOUT STUDENT DATA
Student Privacy 101 for Parents (lots of videos)
Guide to Student Growth Data
Reporting Student Group Data
State Report Card Data Requirements
Teacher Data Literacy
What is Student Data Infographic
2019 Education Data Legislative Review
State Student Privacy Laws
VIDEOS ABOUT SCHOOL QUALITY & STUDENT DATA
ORGANIZATIONS FORCUSED ON STUDENT DATA
VIRGINIA DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION ASSESSMENT INFORMATION
PTA POSITIONS & POLICY LETTERS