School safety is a critical priority for all parents, educators, students, and community members that should not be taken for granted. Virginia PTA supports:
- Physical building improvements to provide secure entry identification and regular school building safety audits
- Memorandums of Understanding with local law enforcement agencies, training programs for School Resource Officers and funding for SRO grant programs that support local control.
- Proactive communication to parents at the start of the school year regarding threat assessment protocols, emergency preparation drills, crisis response procedures and re-unification protocols.
- Authorizing the CDC to research on firearms safety and gun violence prevention
- Provide parents and families with an annual, comprehensive understanding of indicators of school crime and safety, including data on school shootings across the nation.
- Grants for coordinated community violence intervention initiatives in communities disproportionately impacted by homicides and community violence, including job training and workforce programs
Background checks to be required on all firearm sales, closing the gun show and online sales loopholes
PTA POSITIONS & RESOLUTIONS
- RESOLUTION: Limit Frequency of Lockdown Drills
- National PTA Position: Safe & Supportive Schools
- PTA School Safety Resources
- PTA Statmement on Bipartisan Safer Communities Act of 2022
- Statement on Stop School Violence Act of 2018
VIRGINIA SCHOOL SAFETY DATA
- VA Department of Criminal Justice Services: K-12 Threat Assessment
- VA Department of Criminal Justice Services: School Safety Audits
- VA Secondary School Climate Surveys
QUESTIONS: Email Vice President of Advocacy