Virginia PTA Legislative Priorities are adopted annually in the spring at the conclusion of the General Assembly Session by the Virginia PTA Board of Directors to set direction for the coming year. Legislative Priorites are based on existing position statements and/or resolutions and highlight areas where legislative action is needed to address statewide concerns that affect children and youth. Resolutions adopted at Virginia PTA Annual Meetings are automatically legislative priorities for the General Assembly session following thier approval.
- 2021 Session: pdf General Assembly Priorities (333 KB) , Take Action, Bill Watchlist (updated 3/4/21), General Assembly Wrap-Up Webinar
- 2020 Special Session: pdf General Assembly Priorities & Wrap-Up (202 KB)
- 2020 Regular Session: pdf General Assembly Priorities (946 KB) , pdf Bill Watchlist (105 KB) | pdf 2020 U.S. Congress Packet (602 KB)
Virginia PTA Position Statements are adopted by the Virginia PTA Board of Directors and are official documents based on our mission, research and/or previous resolutions or positions of either Virginia PTA or National PTA. Position Statements outline the opinion, will, or intent of the association to address a current statewide situation or concern that affects children and youth and which requires statewide or national attention and action to address.
- Virginia's Phased School Reopening (June 18, 2020) || Virginia PTA Fall 2020 Return to School Survey (June 18, 2020)
- Advancing Equity & Diversity (Amended June 18, 2020)
- National PTA Dues (April 27, 2019)
Letters on Public Policy
Virginia PTA periodically issues formal letters to elected officials or government agencies; signs-on to coalition letters; or provides formal comment to support and advance our positions, resolutions, state legislative prioriities and mission. Virginia PTA may join with National PTA, other state PTAs as well as other education, civic and advocacy associations who have a shared mission to amplify our collective message to elected officials or administration.
- pdf USDA School Meal Waiver Extension until June 30, 2021 Sign-On (257 KB) (September 2020)
- pdf Standards of Quality Public Comment for the Board of Education Review (154 KB) (August 2020)
- pdf USDA School Meal Access Pandemic Waiver Sign-On (209 KB) (August 2020)
- USDA Simplifying Meal Service Rules Roll-back (April 2020)
- Block Grant Federal Broadband Funds to Virginia (November 2019)
- Funding for Virginia's Poison Control Centers (November 2019)
- SNAP Categorical Eligibility (September 2019)
- ESSA Report Card (April 2019)
Virginia PTA collaborates with other associations to amplify work on our positions, resolutions, state legislative priorties and mission. This periodically results in a joint study or recommendation to advance shared priorities.
- pdf Standards of Accredidation Comments to the Virginia Board of Education (231 KB) (Oct 2020 with Virginia Public Education Coalition)
- Summer Childcare Survey & Policy Recommendations (May 2020 with Voices for Virginia's Children & Families Forward Virginia)
- pdf Strategies to Address Virginia's Teacher Shortage (2.93 MB) (Sept 2019 with Virginia Public Education Coalition)
Virginia PTA Resolutions are a tool that we use to share our research with each other and formally communicate a researched action, opinion or needed solution to address a concern which affects children and youth statewide. Resolutions can come from local, council and district PTAs and are adopted every year at our Annual Meeting by General Membership.
pdf 2021: Restraint & Seclusion (248 KB)
pdf 2020: Electric School Buses (206 KB)
pdf 2020: Solar Energy for Schools (217 KB)
pdf 2020: Agriculture Education & School Gardens (230 KB)
pdf 2020: Equal Taxing Authority for Counties & Edcuation Funding (215 KB)
pdf 2020: Early Childhood Education (217 KB)
pdf 2020: Discontinue Sales of Competitive Foods During School Hours (232 KB)
pdf 2020: Limit Frequent Lockdown Drills (210 KB)
pdf 2019: World Language Instruction for K-16 (207 KB)
pdf 2019: Mental Health Return to Learn Safety Net Resolution (224 KB)
pdf 2018: Small Community Schools & Aging School Building Maintenance (210 KB)
pdf 2016: Local Government Zoning Authority Within Gun Free School Zones Year (200 KB)
pdf 2016: Parental SOL Opt-Out Designation on Non-End of Course (EOC) SOL Tests (202 KB)
pdf 2015: Dyslexia (195 KB)
pdf 2015: Dangers of E-Cigarettes (219 KB)
Contact Vice President of Advocacy