This Is How YOU Can Help!!
COMMENT ON BILLS
GET ACTIVE ON SOCIAL MEDIA!
Follow @VirginiaPTA for calls to action and information about the session. We encourage you to share posts from Virginia PTA on your PTA page and with friends to raise awareness in your community.
Help us amplify the call to action by joining a #VirtualRally and challenging your community and friends to #TakeAction4Kids.
-> Take a picture holding a sign with YOUR top priority or record a 20 second video sharing your “why”
-> Tag 2 Friends and ask that they join the challenge
-> Set your post to ‘public’ and tag your legislators and @VirginiaPTA
-> Use the hashtags: #VAPTAAdvocacy #TakeAction4Kids
-> You can also use and share materials from our coalition partner @FundOurSchoolsVA #FundOurSchools
CALL OR EMAIL YOUR DELEGATE!
Legislators respond best to personal stories and asks from their constituents. Letters don’t have to be long, just a short statement about what’s important to you and why you want your legislator to take a stand for education.In addition to emailing your own delegate. This session we encourage you to write letters to the House Appropriations and Senate Finance Committees. Keep your message short and to the point. Here are some tips for a compelling letter to your legislator:
1. Introduce – Share where you live, how you volunteer and the topic you are concerned about.
2. Persuade – Tell your story and how this topic impacts you.
3. Inform – Add data or statements from our resolutions or position statements
4. Conclude – Restate your call to action
WRITE A LETTER TO THE EDITOR
Write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper reminding your community why it’s important to fund education.
QUESTIONS? Contact Virginia PTA’s Vice President of Advocacy
General Assembly Resources
- General Assembly Basics
- Who is My Legislator?
- General Assembly Information
- Legislative Information System (track bills)
- Virginia Department of Education Bill List
- Virginia Public Access Project
- Virginia Red Book, Capitol Connections
- Glossary of Legislative Terms
- How a Bill Becomes a Law (Kids Version)
- Map of Capitol District
- Map of Capitol Building
- VIDEO of 2023 CAPITOL DAY!