Why You Should Join PTA
PTA offers all parents, caregivers, teachers, staff, students, grandparents, community members, and other caring individuals the opportunity to share a commitment to improving the education, health, and safety of all children. Being a member of PTA means that you are part of a powerful association and action plan that is focused on programs and initiatives that strengthen your child’s education.
PTA membership and dues support your child by funding essential educational and curriculum needs; advocating on behalf of children and educators at the local, state and national levels; and building an inclusive school community for all families. Join the PTA for your child because increasing membership, even by one, makes it possible to provide important educational resources, speak up on important issues and create a stronger school community
We encourage every family to become a PTA member to support the success of their child. We want a diverse membership base that reflects all of the families and needs of students across the Commonwealth. PTA strengthens connections between your family, your child’s classmates and their families and teachers to build a thriving and inclusive community for everyone.
Many benefits our children receive today, such as universal kindergarten, the National School Lunch Program, and a juvenile justice system, were accomplished as a result of the PTA mission.
With Today’s PTA, families also have access to important benefits, including:
- Dozens of national programs, experts, and turnkey resources
- Regular updates and advice in the form of e-newsletters, PTA.org, Our Children magazine, and a robust Back-to-School kit of resources
- Leadership development through state and local training, webinars and e-learning courses
- Millions of dollars in grants to help build PTA capacity and skills
- Prestigious national awards
- Cost savings from national and state retailers and other PTA partners
- Invitations to PTA conventions as well as our conferences for emerging minority leaders, male mentors, and advocates
- Support services and staff to help establish and manage your PTA
Ways to Join
Join a local PTA. There are over 900 PTA/PTSAs across the Commonwealth.
Join the Commonwealth PTA – Virginia PTA’s new honorary statewide membership.
Start a Unit. If you are a parent, school employee, or maybe a concerned citizen in an area without a PTA, starting a new unit is easy to do. If there’s no parent group activity at your school now, or your existing parent group wants to realize all the benefits of PTA membership, please contact us or the state office at the number above and we will help you get started.
- Virginia Benefits ~ Are you aware of the many great benefits that you get for just being a member?
- Check out the National PTA Member Benefits webpage for details about these and much more!
- Get Connected ~ There’s no better way to know what’s happening in your school.
- Tap into a Network ~ Parenting is not easy—it helps to share ideas, concerns and experiences with other parents and educators in the community. PTA functions are opportunities to meet other parents and teachers, building rapport and discussing issues.
- Watch Yourself Grow ~ By volunteering with PTA, you gain valuable experiences. It’s an opportunity to put your skills and hobbies to good use for a good cause—your child and all children.
- Speak Up ~ Because the PTA is a forum for idea exchange and advocacy, PTA can be a way for you to more effectively suggest change.
- Witness Improvement ~ By getting involved in PTA, you’ll help make positive changes. Local PTAs play an important role in fundraising to provide building improvements, curriculum-based programs, and social events—all vital to a school’s success.
- Be a Role Model ~ As a PTA member, you demonstrate to your child the importance you place on education.